Canada. America’s Hat. Our neighbors that are a quick swim across the way. Reminding ourselves they’re another country, regardless how close we are. We have many friends visit us here in Buffalo- whether it be for an hour or a full day- and we love taking them to places to show off our city. The fantastic part of the WNY-Ontario border is that we have three bridges in vastly different areas- all of which we have entertained friends and made memories. So in case you’re brainstorming ideas on where to meet your pal (who will be here in 30 minutes!)- here is our series on hangin’ with our fellow hockey lovers at 3 different bridges, Part 1:
THE PEACE BRIDGE
‘I’m passing through. Wanna meet for coffee? Lunch?’ (45 mins- 2 hours)
Sometimes we only have time to meet for a frapp or lunch. Here are some nearby hot spots to catch up & relax.
- Lagerhaus95 95 Perry St. Buffalo 14203: a deli & stube which serves up new twists on German food, great beer, sandwiches, & patio in the up-and-coming Cobblestone District- a short walk from the First Niagara Center.
- Liberty Hound 1 Naval Park Cove Buffalo 14202: the best waterfront spot in downtown where you should order fish tacos & a Bloody Buffalo (twist on the Bloody Mary)
- Osteria166 166 Franlkin St. Buffalo 14202: Italian eatery & pub with a great feel, loveable owner, & addicting Stuffed Pepper Risotto Cakes
- The Hotel Lafayette: Butterwood or Pan-American Grill 391 Washington St. Buffalo 14203: this restored building is the future of Buffalo & has several restaurants that serve contemporary American and pub style menus (respectively). Go show off how BLo is taking over.
- Seabar 475 Ellicott St. Buffalo 14203: feeling like sushi? Stop here for a city-feel with traditional & contemporary sushi where you should order the Beef On Weck Roll.
- Merge 439 Delaware Ave. Buffalo 14202: vegetarian options a must? Here you will find yourself enthralled with how their menu concocts amazing plates while keeping you healthy. (dinner time, Sat. brunch)
- Soho Burger Bar 64 W. Chippewa St. Buffalo 14202: sit up on the rooftop or kick back downstairs with juicy burgers, hearty salads, and oh yea- tater tots.
- only have time for coffee? Starbucks and Spot Coffee are on the corner of W. Chippewa & Delaware.
‘Let’s spend the day together!’ (2hr-6hr)
Usually we get our pals for a half day/evening. On top of trying the places above, check out these ideas for keeping busy:
- Elmwood Village (Elmwood, beginning at Allen St..) The most-talked about area in Buffalo. Shops, musicians, restaurants, thirst-quenchers, people watching…walk this strip and pop in to shop while sipping an Italian Soda from Caffe Aroma. Hit up some hookah at Mezza later on.
- Buffalo Bites Food Tour (starts near Elmwood & Cleveland): stop at 6 locations along the Village & taste a variety of samples while making new friends.
- on various Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursdays- events like live music & food truck rodeos happen at Larkin Square and Canalside where you can enjoy the sunshine & dance around.
- shopping? After Elmwood Village, meander down Hertel Ave. for antiques, global products, unique restaurants & clothing. And, of course, there is always the Walden Galleria Mall.
‘I’m gonna be here all day!’ (6-24hrs)
Maybe you’re lucky to have friends all day long, since you take turns visiting each others’ country.
- Bisons Game @ Coca-Cola Field 40 Swan St. Buffalo 14203: Catch a game, eat too many hot dogs, and watch out for that ball coming toward you…
- BFLO Harbor Kayak Tours (Canalside/Wharf): bring your own kayak, or rent- and take a tour through through Silo City while taking in history & sunshine.
- Spirit of Buffalo (Central Wharf at the Naval Park): all aboard for a sail where you can take in the wind and on Wednesday experience cheese & wine while you whip your hair around.
- Helium Comedy Club 30 Mississippi St. Buffalo 14203: also in the heart of the Cobblestone District, this comedy club brings in the best of the best to make your stomach hurt from laughing too much.
- Flying Bison Brewery Tour 491 Ontario St. Buffalo 14207: take a free tour of Buffalo’s microbrewery and head to Suzy Q’s Barbeque Shack for some ribs & bbq.
- *make sure to follow @WutsUpBuffalo, @ilovebuffaloNY, and @Artvoice on Twitter to see what events are happening in the area!